Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ohio
    • Oct 2006

Originally posted by Lit
    Was just listening to the classic Traffic Filmore set recording, and all I could think of during this cut was Mike singing it!

Dave Mason coming to town this winter...

Comment

• larrybalmur
      • Apr 2009

Originally posted by brooklyngal
      I've noticed you can't book flights yet on SWA for JF time yet. I'm that ready to go that I almost would now if they were available.
      Hey, Last year Southwest flights from BWI opened for jazzfest on Oct 14th. we had about 3 days warning from Swag. Will start a thread late September looking for gnus.

Comment

• Gards
        • Mar 2008

I am in for JazzFest 2015

Qantas had an advance deal to good to refuse $1,300 Melbourne/LAX return, thats 29 flying hours, which is literally a pain in the arse, but I could net let such an offer slip by.

I await to see what Southwest has to offer when they open up, but will probably only use them LAX to MSY, as they will not check my bags all the way through on the way back, they could if they decided to do so, but I dont think they have, established or paid for reciprocal agreements with other airlines to enable that to happen.

The bank balance going South is somewhat of a concern, but I just have to find some more gigs.

Which is easier said than done.

Comment

• McGregor
          • Feb 2007

Originally posted by Lit
          Here's hoping I see you both there. And prayers for whatever is ailing Mrs. McG.
          appreciate it Lit. She was in a wreck, someone hit her > had surgery > still not better. Pretty frustrating situation but we're hoping for the best. Hope to see you guys there too (you to Sam)!
          Last edited by McGregor; 08-22-2014, 07:53 AM.

Comment

• funkkjunkie
            • Nov 2006

Oh, McG, that sucks big time. Prayers and karma for Mrs. McG. Massage is a powerful tool if you can find an in tune, good massage therapist.

Comment

• McGregor
              • Feb 2007

thank you FJ. We're just now getting to the physical therapy side of things so hopefully that helps.

Comment

• ohio
                • Oct 2006

Good karma for you & Ms. McG!

Comment

• NoPoYo
                  • Jan 2011

Confession: I watched Best Bars in America: New Orleans on Esquire last night and I cried a little. I guess it goes without saying that I'm ready, and my krewe is ready too.

(don't tell anyone I cried, I like to think I'm a bad ass.)

Comment

• stynger
                    • Oct 2006

I know how you feel. BBQ and Blues is not looking good at the moment for me either. KDV is out for next year as well. Going to So Cal for a week in November. I must make it to New Orleans for my birthday Dec 12.

Comment

• brooklyngal
                      • Feb 2007

Originally posted by larrybalmur
                      Hey, Last year Southwest flights from BWI opened for jazzfest on Oct 14th. we had about 3 days warning from Swag. Will start a thread late September looking for gnus.
                      Cool, thanks for the heads up!

Comment

• brooklyngal
                        • Feb 2007

Originally posted by Lit
                        Glad you enjoyed it, BG. Yeah, I saw them again a week ago and they opened with this, which is my favorite Traffic song, so it was a very nice treat. Apparently they've been doing it a lot on this tour, but I didn't check any setlists in advance so I was happily surprised by it (as well as a very nice cover of Derek & the Dominoes' "Keep on Growing."). Wish I got to see them more often.

I'm not thinking about missing another Fest, but I'm not obsessing about making it either. I guess my point is to try and find the spirit of Fest when I can, all throughout the year, rather than living 51 weeks waiting for one, which may or may not happen for me in any given year depending on the circumstances. Hope springs eternal though!
                        That's a good philosophy and I try to do that too. It was easier when I lived in NYC but only a little more. I have managed to go to as many fests as I could this summer and have more shows planned this fall. Still, I miss NOLA and the spirit of JF is something I still long for. There's a freedom there I feel nowhere else.

Comment

• brooklyngal
                          • Feb 2007

Originally posted by McGregor
                          thank you FJ. We're just now getting to the physical therapy side of things so hopefully that helps.
                          Good karma for you guys!

Comment

• fichadelphia
                            • Jan 2013

I may be changing Firms in a few weeks (good vibes please) and if so I'm going to plan for a week of travel beforehand and will most certainly head to Nola for a few nights as a part of that getting anxious without my quarterly trips

Comment

• duende
                              • Mar 2008

Originally posted by NoPoYo
                              Confession: I watched Best Bars in America: New Orleans on Esquire last night and I cried a little. I guess it goes without saying that I'm ready, and my krewe is ready too.

(don't tell anyone I cried, I like to think I'm a bad ass.)
                              My liver cried out a bit during that episode, too... my Famous Door memories are over 12 years old, but the "test-tube delivery" method brought those memories back. Those boys seriously drank their way across town, didn't they? The Erin Rose segment was pretty spot-on, including the story about leaping through the window onto the sidewalk beyond. ouch.

Comment

• swag
                                • Oct 2006

Originally posted by Amy Winette
                                Not yet, but I also wish it were.

A person (who shall go unnamed) told Jeff and I at lunch that we should go to Austin City Limits instead of Fest because it is just so hard on them when we are gone for a week in April (I won't even get into how lame that is), or maybe we should do just one weekend at Fest and one weekend at ACL. After all, at ACL you get 135 bands in a weekend for $200. I won't repeat my 30 minute rant about this, but seriously!
                                I've enjoyed ACL, went the first several years, but prefer Jazzfest.

Originally posted by brooklyngal
                                I've noticed you can't book flights yet on SWA for JF time yet. I'm that ready to go that I almost would now if they were available.
                                The place to monitor is http://www.southwest.com/html/travel...OOLS-CAR-TOOLS
                                Right now, it says "On August 25, 2014, we will open our schedule for sale through April 6, 2015." So once that happens on Monday, we should know the date of the next (Jazzfest) extension.

Originally posted by Lit
                                I heard Meg Griffin on the Loft this past Sunday saying that she and her krewe have already booked their accommodations for part of their 2015 Fest trip because they found a hotel deal that was too good to pass up. She went on and on about how prohibitive the hotels can be if you wait too long to book.
                                I wonder what she found? Maybe she reads my blog?

Originally posted by funkkjunkie
                                YYR! Fest can always never come soon enough.
                                And YYR, amywinette , I can testify thatACL is not a substitute for JF. I went the first year and it was oh so very hot, like satchmo fest hot. And now the music they bring is void of bands I want to see.
                                Maybe when the kid is grown, you can hit FQF and jazzfest, Brooklyngal.
                                They have slid the fest from Sep to Oct, might make the heat a bit more bearable.

Southwest flights-- have I mentioned my obsession with obtaining points/ miles lately? Currently with SW you can get 25000 miles after spending $2000 in 3 months. That's at least one round trip and the fees you pay for a round trip=$12. There is a $69 annual fee but you get 6000 miles on your anniversary. At the airport this past week, if you sign up for the SW card and spend the $2000, you get 50000 points. I was wondering if you called and said I saw this at the airport but did nt sign up and want to know if I sign up now, can I get that offer if they would give it to you. Also SW has 2cards and you can have both at the same time so that's another way to spend a little more and get two round trip tickets.
                                Sales pitch over. I should work for those people.
                                The 50K Southwest card application is available, just google to find it. I think that's the best offer currently, but never apply for an airline card without searching to ensure it's the best current offer.

Originally posted by completejohn
                                I do a lot of festivals every year, and I would agree that ACL is NOT a good substitute. In fact, I consider ACL to be the most difficult fest to attend. It's hot, and some years SOOOOO dusty. It's crowded with tarp-hoarders who consider you standing CLOSE to them a major offense. It's impossible to get in and out of the crowds for food, beer or bathroom breaks. But the worrst part is the transportation, or lack thereof. 2-hour taxi lines, bus lines that were at least a 1/4 mile long? Sheesh. I ended up walking back downtown, and that is a hike. The only saving grace is that the bookings seem to be more and more targeted at a MUCH younger audience so onw I don't feel like I'm missing out by passing on that fest.

Yeah, I know...I'm an old fart!
                                If I ever do return to ACL, one thing I know for sure is that I'll bring my bicycle to get to & from fest...
                                Visit my Jazzfest advice site: http://jazzfest.swagland.com/

Comment

Working...