2013 Hardly Strictly Bluegrass announcement, take a guess....

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • bennyboy
    • Apr 2007

2013 Hardly Strictly Bluegrass announcement, take a guess....

Hardly Strictly Bluegrass: A FREE gathering in Golden Gate Park, San Francisco featuring dozens of musical acts on 6 stages. September 29 - October 1, 2023.
  • Mexi
    • Apr 2007

Originally posted by bennyboy
    Still haven't been to this, and that little teaser already tells me it'll be another stellar lineup.

Bonnie Raitt, Patty Griffin, Nicki Bluhm ( so probably hubby Tim), Pieta Brown ( which means, probably hubby Bo & possibly dad Greg Brown) Bettye Lavette

Throw another on the wish list!

Comment

• bennyboy
      • Apr 2007

Originally posted by Mexi
      Still haven't been to this, and that little teaser already tells me it'll be another stellar lineup.

Bonnie Raitt, Patty Griffin, Nicki Bluhm ( so probably hubby Tim), Pieta Brown ( which means, probably hubby Bo & possibly dad Greg Brown) Bettye Lavette

Throw another on the wish list!
      Also pretty sure Neko Case and Leftover Salmon.

And if anyone wants to come out and cheap out, I am your tour guide. Less expensive hotels, where to eat, buy beer, MUNI and other transit options etc.

Comment

• Mexi
        • Apr 2007

Also pretty sure Neko Case and Leftover Salmon.

And if anyone wants to come out and cheap out, I am your tour guide. Less expensive hotels, where to eat, buy beer, MUNI and other transit options etc.
        Still hesitant because of the crowds. What's the scoop...Do you have to pick a stage & stay there? How crowded is it?

Comment

• DougNSharon
          • Feb 2008

Still hesitant because of the crowds. What's the scoop...Do you have to pick a stage & stay there? How crowded is it?
          My best advice is that you can surf until 3 or 4 if you don't mind avoiding the big stage. Try to grab a postage stamp of real estate there before 1 and try to make a slow, smiling, friendly trek back if you want to close out with Steve Earle on Sat. or Emmylou/Rodney on Sunday.

Yes, there are crowds but almost no pushing, hassles or drama. Everyone is there for FREE, so there's not that intense feeling of entitlement for premium spots.

Another tip: if you don't want to fight a big crowd for Emmy on Sunday, get a cup of coffee and make it to the park before 10. She always sound checks for about 45 minutes to no more than 300 people and its usually one of the best parts of the entire festival.

Comment

• bennyboy
            • Apr 2007

not really. You do have to get there early (9 am) though to set up a spot and use that as home base. I usually stay at Star stage and Towers of Gold Stages (back to back, the only ones) and then hop to Banjo and Arrow. Or set up at Arrow and bounce to the others, all but Rooster which is a go there and stay kind of stage. really difficult to hop to or out of that one. IF YOU USE THE TRAILS IN THE TREES IT IS EASY TO GET TWEEN THE STAGES. It is really crowded however, don't think for one second that is not the biggest crowd you've ever seen. it is. the bathrooms are impossible (Most pee in the trees including women) and the main paths can be packed as crap. But the crowd is pretty nice and intense, especially with the freeness of the festival. if you can handle the Jazzfest crowds this is easier due to the open space with no feinces....

Comment

• Mexi
              • Apr 2007

not really. IF YOU USE THE TRAILS IN THE TREES IT IS EASY TO GET TWEEN THE STAGES. ..
              Luckily, I have gotten lost in those trails enough times, to pretty much know my way now.

Comment

• Mexi
                • Apr 2007

Originally posted by DougNSharon
                My best advice is that you can surf until 3 or 4 if you don't mind avoiding the big stage. Try to grab a postage stamp of real estate there before 1 and try to make a slow, smiling, friendly trek back if you want to close out with Steve Earle on Sat. or Emmylou/Rodney on Sunday.

Yes, there are crowds but almost no pushing, hassles or drama. Everyone is there for FREE, so there's not that intense feeling of entitlement for premium spots.

Another tip: if you don't want to fight a big crowd for Emmy on Sunday, get a cup of coffee and make it to the park before 10. She always sound checks for about 45 minutes to no more than 300 people and its usually one of the best parts of the entire festival.
                Great tip about the sound check! I can totally appreciate that. When I worked at the Hollywood Bowl, some of my most memorable moments, was watching the sound checks.

Shoot, I almost forgot... Patty Griffin may bring in her hubby as well.
                So many great, musical couples!

Comment

• Jim
                  • Nov 2006

I've set up camp at the Rooster stage and have never had a problem getting in and out.

Comment

• bennyboy
                    • Apr 2007

Originally posted by Jim
                    I've set up camp at the Rooster stage and have never had a problem getting in and out.
                    I've never set up at Rooster and have always had a problem getting in and out, or close...

Comment

• completejohn
                      • Apr 2008

This will be my 4th HSB. I love this fest, but it's no picnic. It can be difficult. But worth it.

Getting there is pretty easy if you beat the crowds. Leaving can be the hard part. Buses that run downtown to the Bart station get really full really fast. There are a few places around the park to wait it out - they are rarely busy. Bicycling is tough, too, cuz it's truly "urban biking" with some gigantic hills.

But it's also one of the most gorgeous places to see a show. Rooster Stage is beautiful, though the most difficult to get into. Most o f the stages have great viewing lines, even if you're stuck in the back, and really good sound. Food is OK, bathrooms should only be used when necessary cuz you WILL lose a lot of time.

I've found the best way to go to this fest is as a single fester. Yeah, start with a plan to meet here or there at a certain time, but wandering is much easier as a single - people will let you join them on their tarps (well, MOST people) for short stints.

Oh, and bring your own drinks. Nothing is banned except TOBACCO (!), and people will walk in with kegs of beer. But nobody sells beer (except some sneaky guys usually between the Arrow and Banjo stages). It's pretty easy to buy soft drinks from the non-popular food vendors, so we usually bring something to mix. Beer would be great but hauling a case around for the day ain't fun, and unless you have a cooler, they'll get warm.

And you might want to be warm, too. The weather at the park can be completely different from the rest of the city. One day it was cloudy, almost cold, while downtown was sunny and hot. Once the sun goes down, so does the temperatures so be prepared for just about anything.

Comment

• Captain Twister
                        • Apr 2008

I'm sure this year's HSB lineup will be stellar - mostly because I have to be out of town that weekend. Have fun, it is definitely worth braving the crowds!

Comment

• bennyboy
                          • Apr 2007

Probably not eftover Salmon after all. they are to play in Chico WITH BONERAMA! on the 4th and 5th. I though they were booked to play a festie on SOCAL that weekend too but I don't see it anymore.

Comment

• festivalgirl
                            • Dec 2006

So, when does this silly game end and the line-up get released?

Comment

• DougNSharon
                              • Feb 2008

Originally posted by festivalgirl
                              So, when does this silly game end and the line-up get released?
                              Probably before Labor Day with the grids coming in mid September. Bring your schedule to the Paul Sanchez show at the Mint and we'll tell you all the special secret ways to see everyone at the same time!

Seriously, we've been doing this for 12 years and we've got a tip or three for you.

Comment

Working...