PDA

View Full Version : The Line-up for N.O. Pop - 1969

ROPE
01-22-2007, 05:12 PM
Just did a little winter cleaning and ran across the program from the New Orleans Pop Festival - Aug 31 - Sep 1, 1969. That weekend was my first over night outdoor music fest.

The lineup:
White Fox, Snowrabbit, Deacon John and the Electric Soul Train (Deac has played at every JazzFest since then), Whizbang, Axis, Sweetwater, Lee Michaels, Oliver, Cat Mother and the All Night Newsboys, Spiral Staircase, It's A Beautiful Day, Country Joe and the Fish, Byrds, Youngbloods, Canned Heat, Pot Liquor, Chicago (Transit Authority), Tyrannosaurus Rex, Santana, Iron Butterfly, Jefferson Airplane, Grateful Dead and Janis Joplin.

There's some instructions from the promoters of the event that caution the participants about behaving properly. The hippie movement was in the middle of it's war with the establishment and the promoters wanted this event to be a positive for the movement. "The Festival staff would like to remind you that there are people outside of this stadium who don't dig the sounds you'll hear this weekend, who don't like our hair, or our clothes, or our ideas and they're waiting for us to blow our cool. They want disorder. They want to prove to the world that we can't control ourselves. It's up to us to show these people that we will react in a peaceful manner without police beating our brains out. The news media of America is represented here--waiting for a chance to report to the country that we were unable to handle our own scene. Show them this weekend that they are wrong." We did. It was a total success. Very peaceful. That's the way that it was reported. We were very cool.

It goes on with this warning:
"In case you haven't heard, narcotics are prohibited by federal and state law. Additionally, many people have become seriously ill at recent festivals because they purchased "bad" narcotics--improperly manufactured. We were told that one person died a few weeks ago at Woodstock due to improperly made acid puchased at the festival. Please do not consume narcotics at the festival; but, even more important, DO NOT BUY DRUGS--THEY MAY BE VERY DANGEROUS. Plain clothes detectives will be in the crowd. For your own safety, please avoid the obvious consumption of drugs."

I love that last sentence.

saturn
01-22-2007, 05:38 PM
What a great report. And what a lineup!

breambob
01-22-2007, 06:31 PM
My parents would not let me go to that, I think that after they let me see Hendrix here I had gone through enough changes for the time being. Many of my friends went though, and still talk about it. Talk about the great music and the slop...

TY, rope :)

cerey3
06-25-2008, 07:19 AM
I was reminiscing with a friend about the NO Pop Festival in 1969. I was 16 at the time and made the trip with a couple of friends. For the life of me, I could not remember all of the line up. The groups I could remember were Santana, Country Joe and the Fish, Iron Butterfly, Oliver, Canned Heat and Janis Joplin. The rest of it is a blur.. With the exception of a sweet little Cajun lady I met there and the time I spent in NO and being very hungry. If it hadn't been for a few willing and drunk tourist on Bourbon St. some 27 cent bowls of Red Beans and Rice I would have starved to death..

Anyway, I found this post from Google search and wanted to Thank You for posting it. Brings back a lot of memories.

Moon
06-25-2008, 08:32 AM
I really wanted to go to this but I'd just got back from Woodstock, had to start school(12th grade),and couldn't figure out how to pull it off. The big draws for me were Sweetwater, Cat Mother, the Airplane, the Byrds, and the Dead.

ibjamn
06-25-2008, 09:06 AM
Dang!!! I thought Rope was back!

Anyway, I was there, many firsts for me: first time to drink (Boon'es Famr apple), first psychedilics (orange sunshine), first smoke ($8/ounce).

It was an amazing weekend in an amazing time. I bought the poster last year on ebay and it has the same warnings as Rope's program. :)

glinda
06-25-2008, 10:00 AM
Dang!!! I thought Rope was back!

Anyway, I was there, many firsts for me: first time to drink (Boon'es Famr apple), first psychedilics (orange sunshine), first smoke ($8/ounce).

It was an amazing weekend in an amazing time. I bought the poster last year on ebay and it has the same warnings as Rope's program. :)
Wish I had been there. OMG Jenn, Boone's Farm Apple & $8/ounce...those were the days. On second thought that cheap wine could really make you sick.

freebo
06-25-2008, 10:24 AM
In 1969 I was 11 years old - so I did NOT try to attend this event... Not that I remember, anyway. :)

Sigh. The things I missed due to my dang parents! :rolleyes:

Huh? What's that? I'm turning into my Dad now?

OK then.... Never mind. :D

p.s. Hey you kids: Get offa my lawn!!! And get a hair cut, for gosh sakes...

funkkjunkie
06-25-2008, 09:16 PM
I thought rope was back too, jenn! But yyr, those were the days. $10 for an oz in 73, the year I graduated from high school. Of course it was half stems and seeds. :D

jerseygirl67
06-25-2008, 09:19 PM
I thought rope was back too, jenn! But yyr, those were the days. $10 for an oz in 73, the year I graduated from high school. Of course it was half stems and seeds. :D

Dang...and I was thinking that $25 was good in '84. Yes, I was 2 when you all were there. Missed it all:(

marignygreg
06-25-2008, 09:57 PM
$35 up here in Chi-town in 84.

funkkjunkie
06-25-2008, 10:36 PM
I missed it too jerseygirl. But I'm catching up now!

ohio
06-25-2008, 11:50 PM
In 1969 I was 11 years old - so I did NOT try to attend this event... Not that I remember, anyway. :)

Sigh. The things I missed due to my dang parents! :rolleyes:

Huh? What's that? I'm turning into my Dad now?

OK then.... Never mind. :D

p.s. Hey you kids: Get offa my lawn!!! And get a hair cut, for gosh sakes...
young whippersnappers!

funkkjunkie
06-26-2008, 09:56 AM
And only $400 or more for an ounce of the good stuff nowadays. So they say.

jerseygirl67
06-26-2008, 10:13 AM

OMG!!!!! That is insane!

bluesbaby
06-26-2008, 12:57 PM

I don't have the faintest idea what you people are talking about.

jerseygirl67
06-26-2008, 01:38 PM
I don't have the faintest idea what you people are talking about.

Yeah, uh huh....strawberry paper girl....whatever you say...lololol

bluesbaby
06-26-2008, 01:59 PM
Yeah, uh huh....strawberry paper girl....whatever you say...lololol
Hahahaha! WHat the hell is strawberry paper? Is that like a fruit rollup for adults?

jerseygirl67
06-26-2008, 02:07 PM
Hahahaha! WHat the hell is strawberry paper? Is that like a fruit rollup for adults?

fruit rollup for .. ya know...

bluesbaby
06-26-2008, 02:48 PM
well, they just think of everything, don't they! LOL

Yes! I am sheltered!!!

psy
06-26-2008, 04:32 PM
Hi all - a newbie here primarily for one reason (not that I don't love jazz!): I'm trying to locate fairly specifically where the Baton Rouge International Speedway was. I know it was in Prairieville but it appears to be gone now - I can't find anything about it on line. Can any of you give me a street intersection or something nearby or an address that I can put into Google maps?

Thanks,

Psy

And wow! Prices sure have gone up since I, err, had a need for fruit roll-ups ;)

breambob
06-26-2008, 04:48 PM

I've heard the same thing. Genuine Ozark one hit skull-buster. Dusted in Arkansas skunk parfumee. So I've been told...

ohio
06-26-2008, 04:54 PM
Depends who ya know. So they say.

ibjamn
06-26-2008, 06:43 PM
Hi all - a newbie here primarily for one reason (not that I don't love jazz!): I'm trying to locate fairly specifically where the Baton Rouge International Speedway was. I know it was in Prairieville but it appears to be gone now - I can't find anything about it on line. Can any of you give me a street intersection or something nearby or an address that I can put into Google maps?

Thanks,

Psy

And wow! Prices sure have gone up since I, err, had a need for fruit roll-ups ;)

I can't really give you a definate location, but it wasn't actually in Prairieville, but between Prairieville & Gonzales.

Boone13
12-21-2008, 12:14 AM
I have been searching for any information on the New Orleans "Pop" festival of 1969 and could not find anything until now. My mom let my sister and I go but made my Dad come with us! He dropped us off and went to stay with friends in NO. We also had a male friend with us. It was right after Hurricane Camille hit Gulf Port MS. We drove over from Pensacola and had to take a lot of detours. This was before I-10 was finished. I remember a HWay patrol guy letting us go into Gulf Port instead of turning us around, because the road was closed. There were ships on the shore, and signs all bent and twisted, we had to turn around and go back. Anyway, I couldn't remember all the bands that were there, just Janis Joplin, Oliver, T.Rex, It's a Beautiful day and Youngbloods so its great to all the bands that were there. I just remember smoking and maybe drinking a little Boone's Farm too. I was 16 and my sisiter was 18. It was a great experience. The next summer we went to the Atlanta Pop festival. anyone else go there too?

rosetree
12-21-2008, 12:36 AM
I have been searching for any information on the New Orleans "Pop" festival of 1969 and could not find anything until now. My mom let my sister and I go but made my Dad come with us! He dropped us off and went to stay with friends in NO. We also had a male friend with us. It was right after Hurricane Camille hit Gulf Port MS. We drove over from Pensacola and had to take a lot of detours. This was before I-10 was finished. I remember a HWay patrol guy letting us go into Gulf Port instead of turning us around, because the road was closed. There were ships on the shore, and signs all bent and twisted, we had to turn around and go back. Anyway, I couldn't remember all the bands that were there, just Janis Joplin, Oliver, T.Rex, It's a Beautiful day and Youngbloods so its great to all the bands that were there. I just remember smoking and maybe drinking a little Boone's Farm too. I was 16 and my sisiter was 18. It was a great experience. The next summer we went to the Atlanta Pop festival. anyone else go there too?

Sounds like a great memory Boone....There were two Atlanta Pop Festivals...did you go to the second one with Jimi? I was too young, but know people who went....
BTW, why don't you go on over to the "Introduce Yourself" thread and get an official welcome....
Welcome to our madness/obsession!

ibjamn
12-21-2008, 08:12 AM
I just remember smoking and maybe drinking a little Boone's Farm too. I was 16 and my sisiter was 18. It was a great experience.

Hmmmmmm, sounds like you were a part of my group! I was there. (See my post, #6 on this thread) The line-up is in the first post on this thread. (Thanks, Rope!!) and thanks to this thread coming up last year, I scored a great replica poster of the fest on ebay.

steeleye
12-21-2008, 09:00 AM
The thing about Boone's Farm was that it tasted the same going down as it did coming back up.

glinda
12-21-2008, 09:30 AM
The thing about Boone's Farm was that it tasted the same going down as it did coming back up.
Thanks for that lovely memory. Before breakfast. :p

ibjamn
12-21-2008, 03:22 PM

LOL!! Yeah you right!

Chicago Fest Fan
12-22-2008, 10:49 AM
For Jenn or anyone interested.
There seems to be a lot of great memories about this festival, and what a great line up.
I just saw a poster for this festival on ebay abd it's only like $21. Good luck.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=310110138658&category=33008&_trksid=p3907.m263&_trkparms=algo%3DSI%26its%3DI%26itu%3DUCI%26otn%3D 15%26po%3DLVI%26ps%3D54

ibjamn
12-22-2008, 10:55 AM
For Jenn or anyone interested.
There seems to be a lot of great memories about this festival, and what a great line up.
I just saw a poster for this festival on ebay abd it's only like $21. Good luck.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=310110138658&category=33008&_trksid=p3907.m263&_trkparms=algo%3DSI%26its%3DI%26itu%3DUCI%26otn%3D 15%26po%3DLVI%26ps%3D54

Thanks, Festfan. I did pick up this poster on ebay last year & I really like it. It's a wonderful keepsake for anyone who was at that fest. :)

jerseygirl67
12-22-2008, 11:01 AM
It's a shame they don't have a special 40 anniversary pricing for tix....

How much were they for '69?

djgriff
12-22-2008, 11:29 AM

How much were they for '69?

I believe the first Fest was in 1970 - admission to the First Annual Louisiana Heritage Fair in Congo Square was $3. This is according to New Orleans Jazz Fest, A Pictorial History by Michael P. Smith. Great book if you don't have it. I will be putting a copy in the raffle.

ibjamn
12-22-2008, 11:49 AM
I believe the first Fest was in 1970 - admission to the First Annual Louisiana Heritage Fair in Congo Square was $3. This is according to New Orleans Jazz Fest, A Pictorial History by Michael P. Smith. Great book if you don't have it. I will be putting a copy in the raffle.

$3 or free. There was no fencing around the area and the person selling tickets was back and forth from the beer truck.

sophisticated sissy
12-22-2008, 12:34 PM

They do. It is called a Brass Pass! :)

Back in 1969, a Mercedes-Benz could be had for about 12K. Compared to many other festivals, the New Orleans Jazz & Heritage Festival is still a steal. I get sticker shock when I see how high the gate is at Byron Bay in Australia . :eek:

My biggest $$$$ worry is how much I will spend @ LMF!:D

jerseygirl67
12-22-2008, 12:39 PM
They do. It is called a Brass Pass! :)

Back in 1969, a Mercedes-Benz could be had for about 12K. Compared to many other festivals, the New Orleans Jazz & Heritage Festival is still a steal. I get sticker shock when I see how high the gate is at Byron Bay in Australia . :eek:

I got mine already. Just a special limited pricing thing, ya know to celebrate...

Lit
12-22-2008, 01:04 PM

I have found a solution to this concern. I place a large internet order with LMF a month or so before Fest to better "research" some of the artists I'm not as familiar with in advance of Fest. Then I spend slightly less at LMF during Fest. Worked like a charm last year when I placed the order a week or so before my birthday, and then my wife got me $100 LMF gift certificate for my birthday. I think I only had to add $25 to it (and use the 10% discount coupon--thanks swag) in order to make my Fest-time purchases this year....

sophisticated sissy
12-22-2008, 01:27 PM
Good plan for a strategy, Lit! :)
But, my plans seems to go awry when in New Orleans and I go with the flow!
Nothing like the instores to loosen up the pursestrings.

Clerk at LMF: I'm so sorry. Your credit card seems to be maxed out.:o
Me: How can that be possible? The numbers aren't worn off! :D

Lit
12-22-2008, 01:45 PM
Good plan for a strategy, Lit! :)
But, my plans seems to go awry when in New Orleans and I go with the flow!
Nothing like the instores to loosen up the pursestrings.

Clerk at LMF: I'm so sorry. Your credit card seems to be maxed out.:o
Me: How can that be possible? The numbers aren't worn off! :D

Yes, the instores loosen the pursestrings, but they also jam the aisles, which makes it harder for me to spend as much as I'd like because there are some sections I just can't get to. I do like the listening stations though; they have helped me avoid almost as many purchases as they have added. And last year, while seeking refuge from the crush of the crowd during John Boutte's set, I escaped upstairs and realized for the first time how great the used disc selection is there. Now I will always check that first.

sophisticated sissy
12-22-2008, 02:16 PM
I do like the listening stations though; they have helped me avoid almost as many purchases as they have added. And last year, while seeking refuge from the crush of the crowd during John Boutte's set, I escaped upstairs and realized for the first time how great the used disc selection is there. Now I will always check that first.

Yes, love the listening stations, too! I love the vinyl upstairs, too, and there's an extra loo up there, as a bonus!:)

Now with the Borders opening, there will be even more free instores this year, I hope!

alexson115
07-06-2009, 04:09 AM
Hi all, I am a new member of forum

pret personnel (http://simulationpretpersonnel.com)

swag
07-06-2009, 08:45 AM
Well, welcome alexson! Mosey on over to the "Introduce Yourself" thread and let us know a little about you.

He's just a spammer. Note the invisible spam link in white text when you highlight the post (and please edit that out of your quote when you can).

ohio
07-06-2009, 09:07 AM
sneaky bastids!

charlye3
08-14-2009, 01:49 AM
If I remember, it was The New Orleans International Pop Festival @ The Baton Rouge International Speedway in Prairieville, La. put on by the Gonzales Jaycees. The main enterance was at what is now Charleston Rd at Old Jefferson Hwy.
coordinates 30.314729, -90.973394.

Looking at a satellite map I don't see anything left. It was between Charleston and Hwy 42.

If I remember.

I can't really give you a definate location, but it wasn't actually in Prairieville, but between Prairieville & Gonzales.

Thanks,

Psy

Hamlet33
08-14-2009, 01:49 PM
I attended NO pop fest in '69.... what a magnificantly huge blowout!! I remember that it was larger then Woodstock, right? Woodstock claims 400,000 or so; NOPF apparently stopped counting at half a million... or is that rumor? They couldn't control the gate crashers and just let 'em all in.

I have slides somewhere... I'll look for them and try and get them scanned. I remember I got a great shot of some broad talked into SMYT for beer from the crowd. dozens of cans passed forward when she complied. Thank you young lady for the dual memories.

Most remembered moment: Country Joe and the Fish doing the Fish Rag: "Gimmy an 'F'..." Janis was great!!

Also remember the destruction from hurricane Camille going to and from Pensacola to the festival.

Hamlet33
08-14-2009, 02:13 PM
"In case you haven't heard, narcotics are prohibited by federal and state law. Additionally, many people have become seriously ill at recent festivals because they purchased "bad" narcotics--improperly manufactured. We were told that one person died a few weeks ago at Woodstock due to improperly made acid puchased at the festival. Please do not consume narcotics at the festival; but, even more important, DO NOT BUY DRUGS--THEY MAY BE VERY DANGEROUS. Plain clothes detectives will be in the crowd. For your own safety, please avoid the obvious consumption of drugs."

Of course this 'legal notice' worked beautifully.... every acid head and drug dealer in the South saw thru the irony of the statement and showed up with all manner of psychodelics ... and plenty of pot. I was impressed by the emboldened bikers lining the entrance openly smoking pot and 'accommodating' the crowd of seekers. Just walking thru the crowd, and breathing in the smoky haze that covered it, got everyone slightly higher than a Sunday morning gospel meeting.

PEACE, LOVE and HAPPINESS

funkkjunkie
08-14-2009, 06:01 PM
nothing like a nice weed induced smoky haze.
:D

ibjamn
08-15-2009, 11:51 PM
I attended NO pop fest in '69.... what a magnificantly huge blowout!! I remember that it was larger then Woodstock, right? Woodstock claims 400,000 or so; NOPF apparently stopped counting at half a million... or is that rumor?

LOL! I was also there. I believe the official head count was somewhere around 30.000. :)

Victrola
08-18-2009, 04:39 PM
I didn't go, but my brother hitch-hiked from Saint Louis to NOLA for the festival and ended up in jail in Louisiana.
Boy, was he bummed!!

jumpingjoeflash
08-19-2009, 09:31 PM
A friend of mine knew the artist that made posters. They did a reprint 7-8 years ago. I believe you can buy them at the Mary Jane's Emporium on Magazine.

Mary Jane's Pipe and smoke shop (http://www.maryjanesemporium.com/)

robby117
08-29-2009, 10:09 PM
Not only was I there but I still have the original poster framed!

mcaramb
02-10-2010, 10:27 PM
[ PLEASE NOTE. As of 2/12/10 I have corrected the position of the racetrack further down in the thread. I discovered today that my subdivision wasn't the one where the racetrack was originally at. I have corrected this further down in the thread. Sorry about any confusion ]

Hey folks,

I just found out today about this amazing concert which apparently was right in my backyard! We built a home in the subdivision that's there now, about 10 years ago. It's now called Jefferson Oaks Subdivision.

When we bought the property we knew that it once was the International Speedway, but in the 10 years I've been here, I didn't know about the amazing concert that was hosted here back in 1969!!! So, for those that are interested, the correct coordinates of the speedway center point are:
30°18'40.34"N, 90°58'26.95"W. Just north of the subdivision is a big field with an ancient barn. I can easily still see hundreds of tents that must have been setup over there.

Also, if anyone has any video, audio or photos from the event, I would be deeply grateful as I'm designing the new subdivision website and will be putting up sights and sounds from the event on our webpage.

What an amazing bit of history for our subdivision!

-Mike

aardy90210
02-10-2010, 11:36 PM
I just found out today about this amazing concert which apparently was right in my backyard! We built a home in the subdivision that's there now, about 10 years ago. It's now called Jefferson Oaks Subdivision.

When we bought the property we knew that it once was the International Speedway, but in the 10 years I've been here, I didn't know about the amazing concert that was hosted here back in 1969!!!

Awesome! And the wheel keeps turning...ya know, every time that wheel turns round, ya bound to cover just a little more ground!

mcaramb
02-12-2010, 04:29 PM
Been doing a ton of research on this recently, and have actually found an aerial map of the area close to 1969. The only thing is that there were apparently TWO racetracks in the area, and we're not 100% sure which one the event took place at... I've posted the map to refresh anyone's memory.

http://www.designwizardry.com/speedway1.jpg

Anyone remember seeing a PAVEMENT at the event? That would put it at the big oval racetrack in the upper right. If it was all fields and grass, it would be at the lower left.

Chime in all! You'll be doing us a great favor!

-Mike

ibjamn
02-12-2010, 11:22 PM
Been doing a ton of research on this recently, and have actually found an aerial map of the area close to 1969. The only thing is that there were apparently TWO racetracks in the area, and we're not 100% sure which one the event took place at... I've posted the map to refresh anyone's memory.

Anyone remember seeing a PAVEMENT at the event? That would put it at the big oval racetrack in the upper right. If it was all fields and grass, it would be at the lower left.

Chime in all! You'll be doing us a great favor!

-Mike

Goodness. I can't believe how this thread keeps coming back to life! ROPE, whereare you? :)

I remember no asphalt, but the big oval track looks more familiar than the other. LOL! no help, whatsoever. All I remember is that it was some raceway, somewhere between Prairieville & Gonzales.

Fred (Texas JF Fanatic)
04-11-2010, 10:54 PM
[QUOTE=mcaramb;310648]Been doing a ton of research on this recently, and have actually found an aerial map of the area close to 1969. The only thing is that there were apparently TWO racetracks in the area, and we're not 100% sure which one the event took place at... I've posted the map to refresh anyone's memory.

Mcaramb, if your still doing research I know the person you need to talk with. I know the family that owned the property where the 1969 New Orleans Pop Festival was located. My friend now lives in Miami FL. She was 13 at the time but ended up going one day of the festival. She was raised on that land. She will be in the Lafayette/Baton Rouge area at the end of April until May 8. You really need to talk with her Dad who is 82. If you talk with him or her be sure to tell them that Fred said "Hello". Send me email and I can send you her email address. I talked with her today and she would be more than willing to help you with any info or give you her Dad's contact info.
mackeytexas @ aol. com

smobertoday
07-30-2010, 07:24 PM
Just did a little winter cleaning and ran across the program from the New Orleans Pop Festival - Aug 31 - Sep 1, 1969. That weekend was my first over night outdoor music fest.

The lineup:
White Fox, Snowrabbit, Deacon John and the Electric Soul Train (Deac has played at every JazzFest since then), Whizbang, Axis, Sweetwater, Lee Michaels, Oliver, Cat Mother and the All Night Newsboys, Spiral Staircase, It's A Beautiful Day, Country Joe and the Fish, Byrds, Youngbloods, Canned Heat, Pot Liquor, Chicago (Transit Authority), Tyrannosaurus Rex, Santana, Iron Butterfly, Jefferson Airplane, Grateful Dead and Janis Joplin.

There's some instructions from the promoters of the event that caution the participants about behaving properly. The hippie movement was in the middle of it's war with the establishment and the promoters wanted this event to be a positive for the movement. "The Festival staff would like to remind you that there are people outside of this stadium who don't dig the sounds you'll hear this weekend, who don't like our hair, or our clothes, or our ideas and they're waiting for us to blow our cool. They want disorder. They want to prove to the world that we can't control ourselves. It's up to us to show these people that we will react in a peaceful manner without police beating our brains out. The news media of America is represented here--waiting for a chance to report to the country that we were unable to handle our own scene. Show them this weekend that they are wrong." We did. It was a total success. Very peaceful. That's the way that it was reported. We were very cool.

It goes on with this warning:

Thanks Rope, wherever you are! I was there too – my first festival as well. This is about as I remember it except for the killer migraine headache blurring Janis’ performance. Due to a scarcity of liquid refreshment in the immediate area, we were gonna make a beer run to Baton Rouge. We checked the program & were gonna go while some band we’d never heard of was playing. Realizing we’d never get out or back with the traffic, we stayed and were blown away by this band who called themselves “Santana”!!!!!!

Teal
06-17-2012, 02:35 PM
Don't know where you got White Fox... but my brother and his friends were the band WHITE CLOVER and played the pop festival in 1969. I still have the poster. Principles in that band went on to form the band Kansas. White Clover played in the French Quarter all that summer as well.

[QUOTE=ROPE;14737]
The lineup:
White Fox, Snowrabbit, Deacon John and the Electric Soul Train (Deac has played at every JazzFest since then), Whizbang, Axis, Sweetwater, Lee Michaels, Oliver, Cat Mother and the All Night Newsboys, Spiral Staircase, It's A Beautiful Day, Country Joe and the Fish, Byrds, Youngbloods, Canned Heat, Pot Liquor, Chicago (Transit Authority), Tyrannosaurus Rex, Santana, Iron Butterfly, Jefferson Airplane, Grateful Dead and Janis Joplin. [QUOTE]